This Coming Week

>> 03 February, 2010

I suppose since we have a furlough tomorrow I'm not required to write, but I kind of want to anyway. I have a lot of things buzzing around in my brain today.

Yesterday I rehearsed my monologue for Vagina Monologues with Jill and Sarah during our breaks. It went really well! During the rehearsal process so far, Jill and I have had some trouble getting our lines the way they're exactly written in the script. I mean, we thought we were memorized, but it turns out we both memorized things with tiny words cut out or added in, so we fixed that for good yesterday.

What helps me a lot in memorizing things verbatim is once you mess up a line, you go back to the beginning of the entire monologue or paragraph and start from there until you get that one little line right. We ended up doing that, and we both finally did the monologue with no flub ups at all. Smooth like butta'.

It got me thinking, playwrights write their scripts with purpose. They wouldn't include extraneous words. They wrote it they way they did for a reason, and sometimes a line may seem silly, but it's important to the playwright (and ultimately the character), so sometimes an actor must decipher how to make the line have meaning or not sound silly.

This Saturday I have auditions for a scene study course. They're doing a scene from "Revolutionary Road", and it's really powerful. I love it and can't wait for auditions. I think a bit of real film experience will look good on my resume. Plus if I got in it I'd get a reel out of it, which is legit. Not to mention I love this scene. (Click here to see the scene, it's so powerful.)

This time I don't have a witty comment. Too bad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP