Moscow at Diversionary Theatre Review

>> 19 May, 2010

Last Monday I went to the pay what you can performance of Moscow at Diversionary Theatre. I mainly went because my friend, Kevin Koppman-Gue, was in the production, and I'm never disappointed with his work as an actor.


Honestly, I didn't know what to expect going into this production. I hadn't heard of Moscow before, and I hadn't asked Kevin anything about it. So, I went in with no expectations. The first thing I noticed when I walked into the theatre was that I almost got hit by a sock. It seemed Kevin and the other two actors were doing their pre-show; playing a game called "sockball" in character. It seemed interesting enough, and I could tell already that this would be an interesting performance. The stage was very simple, with an all back set, save for a few drapes artistically hung up and a lone ladder on stage left.

When the show began, I wasn't exactly drawn into it. I didn't know it was a musical, so it threw me off a tiny bit, but not enough where I didn't like it. There was no doubt that the actors all hit their marks in their performances, but I didn't particularly care for the way the story was written. I found that some of the text was too mysterious or ambiguous, but this, of course, wasn't a problem with the production or the actors.

In the aspect of the acting, I found all three actors to fit perfectly into their roles. I particularly found Kevin Koppman-Gue to be outstanding, and not just because he's a friend of mine. He was so involved in his character, and it truly showed that he had done his character work. In addition, he really tried to connect with the audience and make his emotions readable and relatable.
Once again, I was really impressed with the work of Diversionary theatre and their choices in actors. I can't wait to see their next season, and hopefully see more actors that I know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP