Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

>> 19 May, 2010

I read Waiting for Godot next. I have to say that this show was really hard to get through for me. the absurdist nature of the show and the writing made it difficult for me to really get enraptured by the text. I feel that if I were to have seen the show, it would have been a different story.


Waiting for Godot is the story of two men, Vladimir and Estragon, who are both waiting for a man named Godot. The two men often speak rather poetically to one another, and reference past events in their lives and time together almost lovingly. In the first act, their waiting is interrupted by a man, Pozzo, and his slave, Lucky. Pozzo seems to be a rather well-off character as opposed to his counterpart, however by the end of this scene Pozzo insists that it is Lucky who is running their relationship. Two two then leave Vladimir and Estragon, who continue their waiting. A boy soon shows up, who tells them that Godot will not show up that night. Saddened, Estragon and Vladimir say that they will come back tomorrow to wait.

The next night, Estragon and Vladimir continue their waiting, and once again open the scene with poetic speech and seemingly irrelevant banter. And, once again, Pozzo and Lucky show up, however this time Pozzo is blind and Lucky is dumb. Pozzo insists that they have never met before, leaving Vladimir and Estragon at a loss. After Pozzo and Lucky exit, the same boy shows up, and once again tells Vladimir and Estragon that Godot will not show up tonight, but will surely tomorrow. Vladimir and Estragon ask him if he was the same boy as yesterday, and the boy insists that he is not. The show closes on Estragon and Vladimir saying that they will leave, and the curtain falls on their stationary forms.

I really think that this show would be difficult to put on or work on for me, merely because it is so absurdist and poetic. I really love the text and the way it's written, however I cannot grasp how one would act in this production. I would love to see this play in the theatre, as I think it would be very entertaining and though-provoking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP