Stop Kiss by Diana Son

>> 19 May, 2010

So, after remembering that Rachel Dexter is doing her final monologue from Stop Kiss, I figured it wouldn't hurt to go back and read it, and take note of what I could use in the future, even though I read it in Acting 1. I have to say that going back did me some good, because this time I was actively searching for material as opposed to just reading a story.

Stop Kiss is the story of two women, Callie and Sara. Callie lives in New York, and she ends up sharing her apartment with Sara, a young teacher who has come from St. Louis to teach in the Bronx. The two become enamored with one another and fall in love, however they are fearful of the circumstances. When they finally break through their fear of social norms and share their first kiss, they are brutally attacked. Callie has minor injuries, but Sara is left in a coma.

The play, however, doesn't tell us this in chronological order. It makes the audience wonder about what happened and lets them piece together the story for themselves, but not in a distracting or annoying manner. The play explores the creation of relationships and the dispersal of them, and brings light to how one simple act can change everything from your physical state of being to the way you are viewed in your society.

I really wanted to read this play again so I could find some monologues or scenes that I could use in the future. I find that any scene with Sara or Callie in it would be good to use, which is most of the play. In sense of monologues, here are some that I feel I could use in the future:

• Pg. 28 - Callie recounts the attack she and Sara endured.
• Pg. 44 - Callie speaks to Sara, who is in a coma.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP