Final Monologue, Scene Work, And More

>> 23 April, 2010

So last Monday I performed my monologue for it's final grade for Peter. I thought it went pretty well. It was really awkward for me, since it was in an office and he was about two feet away from me and the space was pretty tiny. It was just kind of awkward and it threw me off. I got an A, which is cool, but I know I could have done better. I just didn't know what to do in the space, you know? I didn't want to act like I would in a larger space because I'm sure that would have been annoying and a bad choice. It was very weird for me. I kind of lost the characterization that I had found. That's something odd for me; I can perform perfectly in classrooms and audition rooms and such, rooms that have been designated as "acting spaces". But when I get thrown into a different environment, it gets me off- kilter. It's more of a socialized thing, I suppose. I don't know, it's odd.

Tuesday in class more people did their final scenes and monologues. I really want to start working on new monologues and scenes. I really like getting new material to work on, especially scene work. I'm excited to see what everyone else ends up doing. It's always cool to see people play different characters than something they played before. I like seeing the changes people make with themselves to make different characters. Also the scene and monologue choices people make interest me. I like seeing plays that I haven't heard of. But it's also cool to see the well-known ones and see the actors' take on it.

I finally picked out my next monologue. It's from Women of Manhattan by John Patrick Shanley. It's pretty funny, and I enjoy it a lot. I'm looking forward to working on it some more. I haven't had the chance to read the play yet, but I'm going to soon. I really like Shanley's work, and I'm looking forward to reading this next play. I've hardly had time to read plays lately because of Midsummer, that show is eating up my time like nobody's business.

Even though there was a furlough last Thursday, Ryan and I met to start rehearsing and blocking our scene. I'm really excited for it. We both started memorizing a lot of it as well. We broke the scene into beats and we managed to get through a hug chunk of it. It was just frustrating because some people yoinked the experimental from us even though that's where our class was held, and by the time we got it it was time for another class. Regardless, I'm really enjoying working with Ryan, it's really fun. Everything is super easy and fun to do.

Today I have tech for Midsummer, so we'll see how that goes. It's a really light-heavy show, so we'll probably be there for ages. Guh. Even if I don't do anything, tech always really tires me out. Seriously. Something about it just makes me want to fall asleep.

Midsummer opens next Friday, April 30th! Go see it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP