Research - Overdone Monologues

>> 17 April, 2010

I decided to approach the theatre article part of this class differently than others have approached it. Rather than just find an article and link to it, I'm choosing to pick a specific subject and link to a few articles that relate to the subject.

I find that getting information from multiple sources on the same subject can be really eye-opening and helpful, and researching things that I'm actually curious about is better for me than just reading some blasé article that I'll never touch again.

I hope to gather a number of articles that I'll check back to eventually. I suppose I'm creating a mini-library for myself here, haha.


The first subject I chose to research is monologues that are overdone in auditions. I've always been curious about what one considers to be overdone, and I really want to steer clear of these monologues.

I found a really good amount of material in my research, and even got a large list. Many other articles referenced this list and explained it fuller. In addition to that list, I found some smaller ones that listed entirely overdone shows, some were the same as the ones on the larger list, but most were not. It's interesting to see the differing opinions.

(Please note that even though I am posting these links, I'm not posting them to discourage/ belittle my fellow classmates or other actors if they've done any of these pieces at an audition or in class. In fact, I've performed a few of the pieces myself. These are also merely opinions, so don't let them get you down. No hard feelings guys. <3)

(I also highly suggest reading the disclaimer in the second link.)

List of 116 Overdone Contemporary Monologues
Article Explaining the List of 116 OCM
Article with More In-Depth Survey Results of the 116 OCM
List of Overdone Shakespeare Monologues
List of Overused Monologues and Overused Shows
List of Overused Female and Male Monologues

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP