Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl

>> 15 March, 2010

Upon the recommendation of a friend, I decided to read Eurydice, by Sarah Ruhl. The play is a retelling of the myth of Eurydice and her husband Orpheus. Eurydice and Orpheus are madly and in love, and on their wedding day, an accident occurs resulting in Eurydice's death. Eurydice ends up in the underworld, where she eventually reconnects with her father. Meanwhile, Orpheus is determined to be united with Eurydice by any means necessary. The play ends tragically, but I won't spoil the ending for anyone. You should read it, it nearly made my cry.

Ruhl creates excellent imagery with her writing and innovative staging ideas, and I'd love to act in a production of this show one day.

With there being only one "female" role, any of the scenes with Eurydice are fair game. There's only really one monologue that she has, and it's pretty good.

• Act III, Scene 3. Pg. 410 (final part of final scene) - Eurydice's letter to Orpheus
The entire monologue had me nearly in tears as I was reading it. It's so emotional and... Ugh. I can't explain it. It's so poignant and genuine. I truly believe it. I really want a chance to perform it.

2 comments:

peace.among.chaos February 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

I had the opportunity to play this role,
it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.
Truly beautiful yes ? <3

Sophie February 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM  

That's funny that you commented about this now, I actually just got cast as Eurydice as well a week ago! I'm so glad you had a great experience with it, it makes me look forward to working on the show even more! :)

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP