Finer Noble Gases by Adam Rapp

>> 15 March, 2010

Since my library book is near due, I figured I would read the last play in the book of plays by Adam Rapp. I found the play Finer Noble Gases to be very conversational and interesting, however it somewhat lacked in plotline or focus. However, this could have been intentional, if Rapp wanted to convey a "day in the life" sort of play.

The entire play takes place in the living room of a rock band and, in contrast of Faster, happens to be in one of the coldest spells of the year. Amidst drugs, public urination, and plots to steal televisions, Finer Noble Gases shows a typical day of these characters.

The dialogue between the main characters is gritty and uncensored, and while they seem to only speak to each other about trivial matters, Rapp has written it to expertly reveal their personalities and natures. In addition, once their neighbor, a character named Gray comes into the mix, you can see Rapp's true talent for juxtaposition. Gray is well-versed and articulate, and the dynamic between his character and the members of the band is truly striking.

Once again, as this is a male-dominated play (in fact there are no female roles) I could not pick any monologues or scenes for myself. All the characters are too masculine and mentioned as male, so I couldn't possibly be any of them unless some lines were cut out.

Even though I didn't find a monologue or a scene, I still found the play to be intriguing and for the most part well-written. I hope to read more of Rapp's work before the semester is over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP