The Laramie Project by Moisés Kaufman

>> 03 March, 2010

After all this putting off, I've finally decided to start reading up on these plays I'm supposed to be reading. I basically made a list of plays I've been meaning to read and jumped right in.

For my first play, I decided to read The Laramie Project by Moisés Kaufman. I've been meaning to read this one for quite some time. My younger sister performed it (as Romaine and other characters) last semester at her high school, and it was a very moving piece.

I really wanted to read it because even though the high school actors were extremely professional and advanced, they had to cut out a lot due to what the school district said they could say.

I found the play to be just as moving in text as it was on stage. The Laramie Project chronicles the members of the Tectonic Theater Project interviewing selected members of the Laramie, Wyoming community regarding the incident when Matthew Shepard, a 21 year old college student, was brutally murdered because he was gay. The events they describe include memories of Matthew himself, the night of the murder, after Matthew's death, the trial of Matthew's murderers, and the aftermath. The play is mostly monologues, however there is a large opportunity for re-enacting events that the characters talk about.

I found a total of 4 monologues that I could use in the future.

• Pg. 31 - Romaine Patterson
In this monologue, Romaine speaks about Matthew and his qualities, everything from his nicknames to his interest in politics. This monologue strikes me because this could be played as if it were nostalgic and happy, and the ending line "...but not too smart on like common sense things." could then be played ominous and affected.

• Pg. 42 - Sherry Anderson
Sherry explains here how she knew one of the murderers, Russel Henderson. She tells how he was always a sweet guy, and how she can't believe how this could happen. The monologue has many emotional levels to it, and I'd love to perform it one day.

• Pg. 73 - Romaine Patterson
This monologue takes place in the scene with Fred Phelps (This guy: Click Here. And YES, he is referring to Matthew Shepard.) where she has rallied counter-protesters to his protest. She explains about "Angel Action" and what exactly they do. I find this monologue to be extremely inspirational, especially because I had the pleasure of seeing my sister perform this monologue in a very moving manner. I want to find my own way of making the same monologue just as evocative.

• Pg. 86 - Romaine Patterson
I feel that this monologue could be delivered very well. Romaine explains her future plans in contrast to her past dreams, in addition to Matthew serving as an inspiration of sorts. It's a very compelling monologue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP