The Vagina Monologues - Reflection

>> 05 March, 2010

This year I had the pleasure of working on The Vagina Monologues at San Diego State University. Working on the show was truly a life changing experience. I was given the monologue “My Angry Vagina” to perform, along with Jill Cepela. I had merely known of Jill before working on the show. It’s safe to say that we got really close really fast once production started. In addition to Jill, I found myself getting extremely close to the other girls in the cast. The entire cast was so tight-knit, it was so much fun to work on.

As an actor, I feel like Vagina Monologues really helped me grow. I was the youngest person in the cast, and at first I was extremely intimidated and nervous. Because of this, I found it harder to memorize and I said “line” unnecessarily during rehearsals. I knew the lines, however I would say “line” if I wasn’t sure what a line was so I wouldn’t look stupid. Also, I felt that I had to “one-up” everyone else in order for them to see that I deserved the role, seeing that I was younger than all of them. However, once I began to warm up to the other girls in the cast, I felt a lot less intimidated and pressured. I found that my being intimidated was extremely silly; I got cast for a reason, and that was because the production team thought I was a good actor.

Once I quit being so intimidated, I really felt my progress with my monologue flourish. I took my acting to new levels, and I really had a great experience with the whole performance. In addition, my eyes have been opened to the fact that I shouldn’t feel lower than other actors simply because of my age; age has nothing to do with it. It’s about how you practice your craft and how you perform. Working on The Vagina Monologues was truly a beautiful experience for me. It couldn’t have happened at a more perfect time in my life. I’ve really grown emotionally from the experience, and I think it helped me realize that I shouldn’t get down on myself for being the youngest person involved in anything.

Other than having a great time for myself, I really enjoyed working with the other women in the cast. We all became very close and we had such a great time working on the show. Gracie Lee Brown and her performance of “The Flood” was so well done. She managed to add the comedic relief to it perfectly, yet also retains its sadness. I also found Rachel Hoey’s performance of “Because He Liked to Look at it” very conversational and realistic. I was extremely proud of Gina Mauro, Courtney Enea, and Emily Gordon for taking on “My Vagina was my Village”. I had read that monologue during callbacks, and it was extremely hard for me to do. The three of them really conveyed their emotions just the right amount for the monologue. In addition, Jill Cepela, who also did “My Angry Vagina” with me was amazing! I loved working with her throughout the run of the show. Jill was really fun to work with, and she really helped me push myself to be better. (Not in a “I have to be better than you” way, but in a “I want to be as good as you are” way.)

Altogether, I loved working on this show. Everyone did such an amazing job acting, and I’m really proud of every girl in the cast that I had the wonderful opportunity to work with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP